Discussions
Spam Folder in the forum
Mrsix

United Kingdom
Posted on Jun 25 2008
I would like a spam folder in the forum somewhere so that people can shout out new albums or tracks that they have released, or generally just talk about what they're up to without infringing on the other threads.

Would anyone else think this would be a good idea?
Cortoh Hasur

Antarctica
Posted on Jun 25 2008
---------------------------------------
Mrsix said:

I would like a spam folder in the forum somewhere so that people can shout out new albums or tracks that they have released, or generally just talk about what they're up to without infringing on the other threads.

Would anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Spam folder for latest releases? How odd..

The Music section has some feature to link directly to songs, I think. Maybe, some news feed to top it, with latest releases could do the trick, but on some days, people are releasing like 4,5 or more tracks at once. It might jam it really fast..

United Kingdom
Posted on Jun 25 2008
The Music section has some feature to link directly to songs, I think. Maybe, some news feed to top it, with latest releases could do the trick, but on some days, people are releasing like 4,5 or more tracks at once. It might jam it really fast..

This is very true, however I never use the feature cos I find it rude to Spam on the music section. I always liked the Spam folder at CTG because you could post what your up to on there, and as there isn't a Diary or Blog facility yet at TIS, I figure it could only be a good thing... well thats what I think anyway ;o)
Cortoh Hasur

Antarctica
Posted on Jun 25 2008
Mrsix said:

This is very true, however I never use the feature cos I find it rude to Spam on the music section. I always liked the Spam folder at CTG because you could post what your up to on there, and as there isn't a Diary or Blog facility yet at TIS, I figure it could only be a good thing... well thats what I think anyway ;o)

Now, some TiS Diary could be a pretty good thing, to add some life within. Or some sort of a roadbook..

In any case.. +1

United States
Posted on Jun 26 2008
People have traditionally used the Music forum for this very purpose.

Netherlands
Posted on Jun 26 2008
Wasn't that the purpose it was set up for?

roncli said:

Mrsix

United Kingdom
Posted on Jun 26 2008
roncli said:

Ahhh, ok I wasn't sure. Well, I wouldnt want to encroach my spam on that section of the forum, however maybe I have been using CTG for too long...
clones

Bouvet Island
Posted on Jun 26 2008
a lager number of topics per page of that section might make this seem less imposing.

United States
Posted on Jun 26 2008
At the old site we were asked specifically not to use the music forum just because of the volume of visitors to the site who all wanted to promote, so there was a separate release announcement forum that worked very well.

Since this current site is much smaller, it's quite okay to use the music forum to let people know about your new work. I'm sure there can be a change if it ever gets too clogged up.

Though it was kind of you to respectfully assume that this wasn't the case =)
Tricky

Netherlands
Posted on Jun 27 2008
And still people used the wrong forum on TiS1 for promoting music, obviously unable to read the forum list which explained very clearly which forum to use for it. You remember my RoboUU joke as answer to that one?

Warrior Bob said:

At the old site we were asked specifically not to use the music forum just because of the volume of visitors to the site who all wanted to promote, so there was a separate release announcement forum that worked very well.

Since this current site is much smaller, it's quite okay to use the music forum to let people know about your new work. I'm sure there can be a change if it ever gets too clogged up.

Though it was kind of you to respectfully assume that this wasn't the case =)

clones

Bouvet Island
Posted on Jun 27 2008
it happens today as well...

United States
Posted on Jun 27 2008
Tricky said:

And still people used the wrong forum on TiS1 for promoting music, obviously unable to read the forum list which explained very clearly which forum to use for it.

Haha, wow, that goes back a ways! I had forgotten all about RoboUU.

I thought the solution to the spam problem that was implemented (I think it was Ron that did it?) was pretty clever. Since the spammers weren't reading the forum list, they just posted in the first forum they found.

So the "new song announcements" forum was simply moved to the top of the list and it cleared out the problem almost immediately.

A very few dedicated individuals would go through posting announcements in every forum, but they were small in number and therefore not as big of a problem.
Tricky

Netherlands
Posted on Jun 27 2008
You forgot about RoboUU....?
Man I was proud of that joke. Never did a joke of mine go so out of hand that nearly all TiS talked about it, and forgot that I was the one who came up with it. Good thing that UU himself could laugh about it.

It started with "Oh my god, UU died by slamming his head too much against the wall every time people spam the forum".

Lateron, I claimed to have taken his body parts and turned them into RoboUU defender of the forum...

And the newbies had no fucking clue what that RoboUU thing was.

As I said it went pretty out of hand... I believe the Roncli even made a small note on his personal site about it...

Anyway, putting that forum on top was indeed the solution to the problem. You'd never think the solution to that annoying problem was sooooo easy.

Warrior Bob said:

Tricky said:

And still people used the wrong forum on TiS1 for promoting music, obviously unable to read the forum list which explained very clearly which forum to use for it.

Haha, wow, that goes back a ways! I had forgotten all about RoboUU.

I thought the solution to the spam problem that was implemented (I think it was Ron that did it?) was pretty clever. Since the spammers weren't reading the forum list, they just posted in the first forum they found.

So the "new song announcements" forum was simply moved to the top of the list and it cleared out the problem almost immediately.

A very few dedicated individuals would go through posting announcements in every forum, but they were small in number and therefore not as big of a problem.